Sunday, August 6, 2017

Brick Issues

In a nutshell, I'm really unhappy with the bricks on the Mid-Century Modern build.  



Since this is a four sided building, each end of the house will slide up so that you can see the inside. As you can see, the bricks are just not working with the transition from wall to base.  Not to mention that the bricks simply look like crap.  You can see where the bricks are made from each carton.  There isn't enough texture change.  I should have just laid them one by one and mixed it up.



So I tried painting the brick...You can still see the bad texture and it also started to bubble.  I must not have had those spots glued down well.





You can see the transition between the wall and the base is worse on this end.

So as I see it my options are: Peel it all off and place the bricks one by one, Peel it all off and make it limestone like the Atomic Bungalow or peel it all off and make it stucco.  I don't think I like the idea of the stucco though because that doesn't seem very Mid-Century modern to me.


The good news is that I'm almost done with the front door and I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out.


Any input or suggestions on my brick problem would be greatly appreciated!

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it didn't work out, that's rough.

    I agree that it needs to come off. If you choose to rebrick I'd glue them one by one to the wall, with a bit more space between them. I'm sure whatever you decide it will look great in the end. Have you thought about bricking the two stationary walls and using a different finish on the sliding walls?

    The door looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I love your front door. Very Mid century modern. Similar to the door I grew up with actually.

    Your bricks... The only thing I can think of that might be easier than the egg cartons and give you a similar texture would be sandpaper. The finer versions. Cut it into strips and then brick size. You'd still have the tedious gluing but the cutting out bricks part might go faster.

    I'm afraid that's the extent of my brainpower for the day. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So frustrating! I'm sorry - it was shuch a great and time saving idea!
    To help the transition from the base and wall, how about attaching brick planters to the base of the sliding wall to help camouflage? Once you replace the brick with new brick, of course. I think the replacing option, though long and tedious, will be the only way you'll be happy with your vision for the project in the end. Big hug, and God Speed my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the bubbling problem you could also just use an exacto knife to cut on the mortar lines and use a glue syringe to insert some more glue. Like Brae did the wallpaper in her Haunted Heritage bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your front door looks pretty fantastic, but I have no advise to offer re: your bricks, yet I know that sinking feeling when what you thought it would look like when finished, doesn't quite meet your expectations. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe it's a bit late to chip in here but if you would like to stick to your original vision I suggest the following:

    You can extend the wall panel bricks at base (overhang) to obtain smooth transition to ground level. Then under door you can either align bricks with wall or just smoothe out to give effect of flagstone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only imagine the frustration this is! I agree that taking it off and gluing one by one might be the best option. Or making smaller jig-saw like pieces of a small grouping of bricks. I've seen people use sandpaper as an alternative to egg cartons too. I hope you find something that works.
    In the mean time your door is going to look so perfect with your style!!

    ReplyDelete