Sunday, May 4, 2014

Undersized Urbanite: The Groovy 70'sPad is Done with One Day to Spare!

I didn't think I would actually get the 70's pad finished in time...but I did it and a day to spare!  Whew!




 The roofing is corrugated aluminum with an one a inch aluminum channel to finish it off at the top.

The original A-frame kit originally had the whole center part of the back open, but I added some dividers and windows to give it a more modern feel.  I used 1/4 thick plexiglass for the windows because it's the same thickness as the plywood used for the walls.

 The kitchen wallpaper has little forks, spoons and knives in the center of all the dots.  The kitchen unit is not a permanent fixture.  I made it removable because I intend to use this house for other scenes.  I made the wallpaper from an image I found on Google images.  There is a corded wall phone at the far end of the kitchen.  The doors are non opening, but I love the colors. 

I think the fireplace is my favorite thing in this house. 

The awesome wall clock is from Mitchymoo Miniatures...AKA Pepper.  The stereo is vintage and if you wind it up, the turn table spins.

 I stayed with a round theme for the loving room.  I made the sofa and triple arc lamp.The coffee table is a canister that came with a watch in it (I think).

 The front porch has an outdoor light.  I hid the battery that lights up most of the lights in the house in the wood bin.  The chair is also vintage.  The sliding glass door opens.

The spiral staircase is made with a wooden dowel as the main support.  I cut the stair treads from black plexi and used aluminum tubing between the steps.  I oped not to put on a hand rail because I just like the clean look.

                                     

The bathroom fixtures are vintage German.  I gave them a fresh coat of paint because they were pretty well used. I added a shower head and hose to the faucet. I added tile behind the tub.  We wouldn't want the groovy wallpaper to fall off because of the water would we?


The bedding is Michael Miller quilting fabric.  The bed is custom fit to the angled wall.  There is a built in table by the wall with a lava lamp and a telephone. The lamp is battery operated from Minimum World, the picture frame is vintage Petite Princess and the T.V. is a key chain that lights up from CB2

You can barely see the lava lamp to the right.  It is from AG Minis.  There are some vases and an owl on the shelf atop the room divider.  The throw pillow is Kaleidoscope house.  Most of the other accessories are various craft store finds.

There you have it, the groovy 70's pad.

29 comments:

  1. Bravo *clap clap* The record player is such a cool find! Best Wishes on the contest :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing entry! Congrats on finishing just in time :) The outside is very impressive with all the windows and finishings. And the inside has really come together, I like the living room the most. The sofa and fireplace are so well done and I love the bright pops of colour. The little details like the forks and spoons are crazy! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic job!!! I love this build.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG what a reveal. I will be shocked if you don't win. Absolutely groovalicious!!! I can't even tell you how badly I want an A Frame house now. LOVE!! Congrats it's just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job! I just love it. The canister coffee table is really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. me encanta ,es un trabajo fantastico , la estructura es muy original y todo el interior es una maravilla

    besitos

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful job ! Everything is just perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blimey Cyd, you've done an outstanding job. I love the whole look of the house from the floor to the wallpaper. The kitchen is especially cool. The furniture you made looks right at home. Brilliant! Good luck in the contest =0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG: wonderful design work with groovy details!
    Congrats!
    Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done you, you nailed it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. My jaw just dropped you finished it so fast and it looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amaaaazing! The kitchen and that fireplace are my favorites. I love the fork/spoon wallpaper. I can almost hear Bruce Springsteen on that record player :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that bathroom, those vintage items fit right in ..good luck

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the A-frame!! This whole thing is just...WOW! Good job and Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing, Cyd!!!! I love everything about this house. All the circles in the living room make me want to snuggle! You really made the orange and green work together! I LOVE it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cyd, I love this house. There are so many things that are just stellar. It has a 70's vibe, but it is very 2014-modern, very cutting edge. The aluminum roof, the zebra-style flooring, and the gorgeous spiral stairs are just three examples of your incredible modern take on the 70's. It shines!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so great. I love all of the details, but I think the roof is my favorite part, it's just so cool. The fireplace is a close second though...

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow - i love it! hope you win! greetings from germany

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it, I am totally obsessed with the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so stylish, yet cozy...love the look of the outside!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic job! I love how realistic everything feels.

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE THIS!!!! You have really captured the 70's vibe and made this house livable as well as Groovy :D Your incredible details are all so familiar to me especially the stereo with the turntable that I just happen to STILL HAVE stored in my garage ( just in case they ever come back! ) This house ROCKS!!!! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow! Absolutely gorgeous. Love the staircase.

    Any chance you can put up a tutorial on how to make one? Or tell us what tools you used? I want to do something similar in my new house and I don't have a clue as to what I'll need.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on winning this year's Undersized Urbanite Cyd -- what you built is fantastic. Yes, I'll have to agree with Sheila's post above -- would love to see some tutorials on how you built the 70s pad (especially the floors -- they're stunning)!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it! Great work!
    Congratulations =)
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete