Wednesday, September 18, 2024

The Next Chapter

Well here it goes. This is a decision that I've been toying with for a long time. I'm very sad to say that I am getting out of miniatures as a business and turning it back into it a hobby again.

Those close to me know that I've been healing from some pretty gnarly stuff over the last few years.  A huge part of that healing has taken a lot of spiritual work, meditation, Reiki and looking into the shadows of who I am and who I've always thought of myself to be. The change has made me realize what I want and don't want in my life and what I am willing to do.

Being involved in the world of miniatures has been one of the many the survival mechanisms that have helped get me through life over the last several years. It's put me in contact with some of the best friends that I could possibly ask for and taught me many new skills. I'm so grateful to everyone who has supported me in my miniature journey.  This warms and breaks my heart at the same time.

Miniatures and being in the miniature business has helped me realize a lot of things about myself like:

I'm just not motivated to work for myself, I'm a total people pleaser.  

I really don't like 3-D printing with resin because of the fumes. The machines are pretty finicky plus I'm allergic to the resin. I get a terrible rash up and down my arms when I work with it. 

It's really lonely working by yourself every day. It makes it so you're in your head all day long...WAAAAAAY too much time to think.  I'm an introvert, but I'm also a libra which means that I have to have connection to the outside world and people.

The Miniature business is definitely makes you hustle!

I'm ADHD which means I need structure and routine...I don't like it...but I need it.

I don't give up easily.

It made me challenge myself and my design skills.

I know that I CAN make miniatures my business, but I don't really want to.

Even small things can take over your life and your house.🙃

So what does a woman in her 50's who is starting over and never followed her dream do? Take the path not taken before.

When I was in college, I wanted to change my major from Fashion Merchandising to Interior Design, but I didn't.  I wanted to go back to school to get the credentials and licensing later, but I decided not to. I've regretted it ever since.

Back in the day, when I sold home dec textiles, I got into miniatures because my house at the time was basically finished and I wanted something to decorate. What I love about making miniature furniture and accessories is the design process and staging the scenes. 

I also love to paint. I miss painting murals for kids rooms.  It's really heart warming to see a kid's face light up when they walk into they're own little fantasy room.

So, I guess my dream job would be a Spiritual-Interior Designer-Painter My hope is to at the very least get pretty close to that and be able to make a good living at it.

I will be taking some time to finish decorating my own house and finishing up some miniature pieces that I already have started.  Over the next several weeks, as I learn new skills and take some classes, I will be posting them for auction on Ebay. I will also be paring down and selling some of my personal miniature collection and lots of supplies.  The best way you can support me on this endeavor to follow my dream is to please bid on my miniatures! 😁

Wish me luck😉





No comments:

Post a Comment