Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I'm So Done

Many of you are fervently working on the Greenleaf Spring Fling contest.  When I saw the kit, I really liked the modern lines and immediately had a great idea or so I thought.

On the Greenleaf forum (which by the way is a great place for building advise) a very generous person was giving away a Spring Fling kit on the premesis that whoever takes it enters the contest.  Being that it was free and I liked how it looked, I jumped on it.  She carefully packed up the kit and sent it to me.  The kit arrived and I opened it.  I loved the clean lines, but was taken aback because it's a laser cut kit and the wood is paper thin.  I just have never worked with this type of kit before.

I continue with my idea and got to this point:

It was going to be a modernized city brownstone. I didn't like the way the stone looked, but I took Brae's (from her Otterine blog-she is amazing!) advise and grouted the stones with spackel (in my case joint compound).  It was looking better.

Then I had decided to make two spiral staircases, but the floor space is so small (it's only 12" x 10") and it took up too much space..

So I decided to patch up those round holes that were a real pain in the a$$ to make and make more traditional shaped stairs. Then I had to try to fill in the rounded gaps with spackel to make a smooth ceiling...I even had holes drilled for lighting...yes lighting!

It's hard to tell, but it looked like another word for doo doo.  It is beyond salvaging at this point and here it lies...


I still have what I made of the kit part.  Maybe I will get inspired and try it again, but for now I am waiting for some motivation and inspiration.  I'm just not feeling it.


I feel bad about this and feel like I should at least try for April's sake (she gave me the kit)...But for now, I am done.

13 comments:

  1. Aw darling! Don't be so hard on yourself...I totally understand where you are coming from...make something new that you can feel good about...Hugs Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that is sad. :[ Sorry it gave you such a hard time. I know you've scrapped it, but you can cover a rough ceiling with plain white drawing paper. I did that in the Newport when I plugged the original stair hole and cut a new one. I spackled and primed under the paper. http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/totally-wired I've used that process every time I need a smooth white ceiling but the wood is shoddy. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brae! I'll check it out. Your tutorials are always inspiring!

      Delete
  3. I really love the stone exterior! You did a great job! Please continue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, the very last thing I would ever want is for someone to work on a project out of guilt..especially on my account. If you get inspired to try again GREAT; if not dance that scrap all the way to the curb and never look back. We've all been there and life is too short to be irritated at your hobby - it's supposed to be your fun time!

    Big Hugs, April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April,
      I really appreciate the kit and I think I just took on too big of a project. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I know how you feel I have monthly food challenges I'm supposed to do and I'm not feeling it either but Im sure you'll pick it up again with something even better :)



    Love
    Marisa :)

    PS if you turn it into a nice modern resturant I'll provide the food *it'll give me a reason to skip the food challenge...ok..ok I wont skip the food challenge... I'll do the food challenge too*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marissa, you're so sweet. I might just take you up on that! I'm feeling a little inspiration again.

      Delete
  6. :( I know how you feel. Sometimes the best visions just can't come to fruition no matter what you do. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wait, don't throw anything away, just wait, because you are so talented, the inspiration will come. Look what you did with Fascination Station? Even if you don't use the goods for this project, there is going to be some project that will call out for these pieces. (No, I am not having Pollyanna moment, I just think you are very talented!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. As soon as the garbage collector picks it up I will wish I had those pieces. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I think it is funny that sometimes I love one house and the next day it's over. Then I am drawn to another one for awhile, I bounce around with my favs, Thank heavens they aren't like kids where they would become neurotic! xo CM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh bummer, I'm sad for you. That was such a cool idea. I feel your pain, been there. Let it go and inspiration will strike again. Mini hugs.

    ReplyDelete